Monday, August 13, 2012

8 month catch-up: March to May


In March, my Grandmother Bugg celebrated her 90th birthday. Just before her birthday, we found out that she was pretty much going to need a wheelchair to get around and at the last minute, I decided to make her a quilted lap throw that she could use at home or when she was out and about in her wheelchair. I only had a couple of nights, so I didn't want to attempt a pieced quilt. Luckily, I had been eyeing this fabric since before Christmas, and knew I wanted to use it to make a project for her (it just made me think of her for some reason and I love the birds). It was the perfect choice for the quilted throw, because the fabric itself kind of looks like pieced squares.

Made March 11, 2012

I don't have a picture of the back, but it was a coordinating fabric. I just quilted around each of the squares and once again, I did a fold-over binding. Grandmother loves it - she says that the only problem she has is that my Grandaddy wants to use it too.

I feel certain that I didn't go for the entire month of April without sewing anything, but I don't have any pictures to show and I honestly can't remember. In May, I had several important birthdays to prepare for, so I did make a few things.

First came this car caddy for Joseph's little friend in our neighborhood (he is the one who got the pillow at Christmas). This little guy is only three days older than Joseph, and loves, loves, loves cars! When we go out to dinner with his family, his mom is always pulling matchbox cars out of her purse for him. I thought this travel carrier by Homemade by Jill was the perfect gift for him!


I once again amazed myself by getting most of this project completed during one (very long) naptime, including picking out the fabrics from my stash! This was my first time doing applique and I thought it was really fun. I decided to use one of my handy snaps leftover from the backpacks, which I like even better than a velcro closure. By the time Joseph woke up, I had completed everything except for adding the snap and doing the freezer paper stenciling for the road and the numbers. This was also my first time with freezer paper stenciling, but I know I will do it again - it's awesome!

After this, I decided that I wanted to make something cute for my niece who is just 10 days older than Joseph. I already had a coloring book for her, so I decided to make her a little crayon carrier to go along with it.


I didn't really use a pattern for this one...just looked at a bunch of different tutorials and went for it with my own measurements. I like this style where the crayons point inwards the best - there is less of a chance of losing crayons in your bag. This was a good chance to use some of the fabric leftover from the aprons I made at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment