Tuesday, November 29, 2011

This one's for Maru...

On October 19th of this year, my cheapo little sewing machine arrived in a box from Amazon.  I had finally bitten the bullet and ordered it, determined to at least learn how to hem pants for my short-legged family.  Also, I had been cruising Pinterest, and I felt like I was finally inspired enough to tackle my fear of the machine. 

That night I made an easy little envelope style pillowcase using some fabric that one of my best friends had given me a year earlier (she is a seamstress, and why she thought I should have some fabric, I'll never know...but thank goodness she did!).  It was nothing special, but I felt so excited!  I made something.  Something real!  Something someone (namely, my toddler) could actually use!  The next day I stopped in at Hobby Lobby and bought some more fabric...a soft brown minky and the cutest cowboy fabric ever.  I felt a little ambitious going straight from cotton to minky, but hey! Go big or go home, right?  I don't think anyone has ever been so proud of a pillowcase as I was that night. I admit, I made my poor son take it everywhere over the next week or so, just so I could show it off.

Over the last six weeks, I have been cruising the internet looking for cool projects and tutorials, and making as many things as I can. I'm still really slow, but I'm enjoying every minute!  It's nice to have a hobby that has tangible results and I can't wait for Christmas this year, as almost everyone is getting something handmade.

One of my sewing inspirations is my friend Mary (Maru) who is a super-talented quilter and all-around awesome and crafty person. She no longer lives in my neck of the woods, but I have been forcing pictures of my creations on her via email for the last six weeks.  Today she suggested that I start a blog to keep track of all the things I make and even dubbed me "Super Hero Sews." I thought it was a good idea.

My first little pillowcase. Notice the instruction booklet underneath.  When I pulled the machine out of the box, I think my exact words were "I don't think I can do this."
Aren't those the cutest cowboys you've ever seen?

Minky!  I sewed the slippery stuff!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! you are 'sew' wonderful! I can't believe you used minky already! I love your blog address and I have such a giant smile right now!!! SUPER RAD!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete