Again, I've somehow only managed to take a picture with my phone and these pictures do not do the fabric or the bag itself justice. It is so cute! This was a pretty big project for me, and it took me 4 or 5 nights to finish.
The first mistake I made was that I washed the charm pack. I didn't know that most people don't wash precuts (this was my first time buying and using a charm pack), but now I know why. The squares don't shrink evenly, so they don't piece together evenly either. Oh well. I figured it was just quirkier that way. Then I had trouble picking the fabrics to use for the rest of the bag. I'm still not thrilled with the orange for the pocket, but I had limited choices at Hancock's, and limited funds in my wallet. I still love the bag, but that is one thing I might change. I also made two sets of straps, because I ended up really disliking the first ones I made. I love these though!
Making my own bias tape and binding the whole bag was time-consuming, but I'm glad I did it. It was a good learning experience, and I actually really like the fabric I used. My favorite part of the bag is definitely the kite applique on the side. I had an extra charm square left, and decided to add that detail on a whim...I think it really adds something special and kind of whimsical to the bag.
This bag is really quite large, and so far it has come in handy for trips to the pool and for times when I've just needed to grab a few things for the day. Can't wait to take it to the actual beach someday!