Monday, August 13, 2012

8 month catch-up: Joseph's Birthday

Of course, if Felton and Addie had birthdays, that meant that Joseph had one too! I was cruising around on Fabric.com one night a couple of weeks before his birthday and happened across some Yo Gabba Gabba! fabric that I knew he would love. I poked around on the internet some more and found a great pattern for a Yo Gabba Gabba! quilt that looked pretty easy. And a crazy idea was born. I couldn't find (and probably couldn't afford) all of the fabrics that were originally used in the quilt, but luckily, fabric.com has a "design wall" feature that makes it really easy to select coordinating fabrics (sometimes a problem with online fabric shopping). I chose my fabrics and hoped they'd arrive in time for me to make the quilt for his birthday.

Luckily, they arrived two weeks before his birthday, which coincided with a weekend my husband was going out of town. I washed the fabric and cut the pieces on Friday night, sewed the quilt top on Saturday night, and finished the quilting and binding on Sunday before Ryan got home (and all while Joseph slept). Again I did a fold-over binding, but this time it was complicated by the fact that the entire back was a red minky. It was a little trickier, but I am so glad I chose the red minky for this quilt - it looks just like Muno!
Made May 6, 2012

The only picture I've managed to get is this one from my phone - it is not so great, but you get the idea. The flannel and the minky make it a pretty heavy quilt, but Joseph loves it and it will be especially nice when the weather turns cool. When Joseph pulled it out of the bag at his birthday party, the first thing he did was lay down on it and put his thumb in his mouth - a ringing endorsement. I was thrilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment