Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Time to catch-up

Here is the post where I get up-to-date on the things I have sewed over the last couple of months.

10/30/11
These are little pajama pants that I sewed for Joseph.  He looks adorable in them and they fit just right.  Next time I'll use a little longer piece of elastic in the waistband.  When I went to cut it, I couldn't find the string that I had used to measure his waist (which I used because I couldn't find my measuring tape).  No one ever accused me of being organized!  I used this tutorial: http://www.mygrowinghome.com/2011/10/diy-basic-boy-pants.html  (minus the pockets, because I just don't see a need for my 18 month old to have pockets in his pajamas).

11/2/11

Next I made this apron. (I'm really loving projects that I can finish in just one night). This is possibly the worst picture of an apron ever taken (and I even cleaned the mirror before I took it!), but I promise, it's actually really cute in person!  I made this as a Christmas gift for one of my co-workers.  I really love the fabrics and when I gave it to her she exclaimed, "It matches my kitchen!  I'm going to wear it just because it matches!"  I'm so glad because I tried to pick out colors that made me think of her and it worked!

Here is the tutorial:

 



11-6-11

Casserole Carrier!!  I really wanted to make this carrier when I saw it on Pinterest, and I was pretty sure I could do it since it is a very simple pattern.  When I showed it to my mom, she said, "I know what I want for Christmas!" and I thought, "Good thing, because that is exactly what I had in mind!" Hers has the same outer fabric with green innards.  I feel like I really get a lot of bang for my buck with this one. It was really easy to make, but it is super functional and people are impressed by it.  My friend Rachael liked it so much that the day after I showed it to her, she asked to come to the fabric store with me so she could make her own (and one for every female member of her family). 

I have never been so excited to bring a casserole to Thanksgiving dinner before!

Here is the tutorial I used:

http://2littlehooligans.blogspot.com/2010/10/casserole-carrier-tutorial.html

11-14-11

Okay, this little dinosaur is really freakin' adorable.  I saw a picture of something like this on Etsy and thought I would make something similar as a Christmas gift for a sweet little baby I know.  I am excited to give it to him soon and I hope he and his mommy like it as much as I do.  I am proud to say that I have no tutorial to link to on this one, as I just drew out a little pattern on parchment paper and went for it.  I was nervous about stitching up the hole with a blind stitch, but luckily the fuzzy minky makes it pretty easy.  I'll definitely try this again!


11-15-11

This is a stocking I made for Joseph.  I have a cheap one that we used last year, but I just couldn't ever find a plain stocking that I liked enough for him.  I really like this one, but I've since made a different stocking for someone else that I like a lot better (at least, I like the size and the technique better), so we'll probably use this one for this year and then I'll make an even cooler one for next year later (when all the Christmas fabrics go on sale next week!).  I used this tutorial:

 



11/21/11-11/25/11 (Thanksgiving Break)

I am seriously in love with these little kid aprons.  I made these over the break as gifts for my co-workers and their children.  The aprons have an elastic neck and a velcro waiststrap so the kids can put them on themselves. Seriously, if Joseph was big enough to wear the sports apron, I might have seriously considered keeping it for myself. =)  Luckily, I know a little sports fanatic who is going to love it (and he'll love having his baby brother wear a matching bib - I figured a bib is just a baby-apron).  Also, I think my other co-worker's girls will love wearing matching aprons while they all "cook" together. 


The bib is the first "quilted" thing I made and I really liked how it turned out.  I found a pattern/tutorial online, but didn't really like the size and shape of that bib, so I made my own pattern from one of Joseph's bibs.  I'm really pleased with it and when we have another child I think I'll spend some time beforehand making a whole set of homemade bibs for him/her!


11-28-11

I really wish that I could take better pictures of these things, but the light in my house is really awful. So you just have to imagine the bright beautiful shades in this fabric.  I made this bag for our Counseling Clerk who is such a bright, bold person. This was my first time using any kind of interfacing and it was just okay.  I feel like the interfacing I used was a little too stiff, and it came off a bolt with no instructions, so I was sort of winging it.  At any rate, the little ruffle on the pocket made this bag completely worthwhile...I am in love with that little ruffle.

I used two tutorials for this one:

11-30-11

The art teacher at our school sponsored a Festival of Trees this year in support of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.  I guess when I wasn't paying attention, the counseling office decided to sponsor and decorate one of the trees.  They decided it should be a college themed tree AND that I should make the tree skirt. So on Tuesday I found a pattern online and on Wednesday we went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and bought GT and UGA fabric. I ended up stopping at a different store on the way home after I did some calculations and realized that more fabric would be needed (and I thought we needed something Christmas-y too). 

I love, love, love the way this turned out.  The Christmas fabric really worked with the college fabrics and I had fun using bias tape for the first time. Luckily, I had decided to order a walking foot for my machine the weekend before, and it arrived THAT night!  I only did straight lines on it, but the foot made the quilting SO easy.  I honestly had to show it off to everyone.  My mom loved it so much she said she would like to pay me to make a UGA one for her and her sister-in-law (after Christmas when all other projects are done!).

I used this tutorial:

Our finished tree!







No comments:

Post a Comment